Arranged marriages: Re: [geeks] Stupid people rant

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Wed Feb 13 16:35:43 CST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Julius Sridhar wrote:

> > I assume you are talking about arranged marriage?  There is something to be
> > said for it, but it certainly take guts to go through with it unless you are
> > living in a culture that more or less requires it.  I don't think I could
> > do it.
>
> My own marriage is being arranged.

I dunno, in some ways it takes out the "high standards" crowd.  If you
know that you will have to work with somebody to try and make a
relationship, you may actually put more into it, as opposed to: " Well, we
met, and he/she was fun. but now they're not as much fun - their breath
smells in the morning, they don't close the cap on the toothpaste...etc.."

A solid long-term relationship succeeds or fails depending on the effort
put into it.  If Chandra and I hadn't both been willing to flex and to see
the other person's point of view, we would've had a much harder time of
it.  Remember, the infatuation lasts a short time, but the love, if
well-founded, can grow the rest of your life.

(My Father and all three of his brothers have been (or were, two have
passed on) over 50 years of matrimony.)

-Pete