[geeks] cassablanca 68060

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Wed Feb 13 14:47:57 CST 2002

>I saw an interesting machine on ebay called a casablanca with 32megs ram, 18
>gigs HD and a 68060.  Anyone ever hear of these?  Are they
>hackable/modifiable?
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1332466738

Umm... Sarah uses the Casablanca AVIOs at work and they are 233
pentium mmxes w/ a single DIMM and LOTS of dedicated, custom hardware
for video I/O.  The AVIO is ATA66, this SEEMS to be scsi, not sure
how fast.  OS for these comes on smart media (This unit seems to use
floppies).  The HDD is for both A/V storage AND swap space so if you
fill the disk it will "clog" the editor.  All in all I'd *MUCH*
rather use IMOVIE as it is actually truely nonlinear.  Its more
limiting than useful and you'll outgrow it quickly.

daniel