[geeks] Sun stuff on auction locally

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Wed Feb 13 09:44:00 CST 2002

On Wednesday, February 13, 2002, at 05:31 , Michael Thompson wrote:

> All of my Sun-2 SCSI boards are VME. Sun-2 SCSI means the second SCSI
> design, not that it went into a Multibus Sun-2 system. The third design,
> Sun-3 SCSI, are much better though.

Oddly enough, this is a terminology slip - as most of the SCSI boards I
used in Sun-3's came from Sun-2's and were clipped into the Multibus to
VME converter.  Sun really confused the issue by calling the rev. 2
boards Sun-2 as well.  I also had the same thing going on with Xylogics
451 SMD controllers and converters.

Esp. in the early days of VME-based Suns (including the 2/160!), many
people used the multibus conversion route.  Ugly, ugly times those
were...

_Pete