[geeks] snmp vunerabilities

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Wed Feb 13 01:40:32 CST 2002

"Peter L. Wargo" wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> Ya know what bites about these things?  The amount of resources that it
> takes to generate the patches, then test them with *every* test
> combination.  I wonder how much companies like IBM, Sun, and HP spend on
> security fixes every year...
>
> (Notice I left mickeysoft out.  I know their budget must be a whole $0.50
> or so...)

Yeah, and it shows up in their "quick solutions".
Looking at the CERT advisory, in short:

Cisco:
 "We are working on it right now."

Compaq:
 "We are investigating and you should expect a patch soon."

Mickey$oft:
 "Turn off SNMP v1."

Heh... Sounds to me like:
"Why not shut down all servers? Then we can't get any security-holes
either!"

:-)

--
Vdnliga hdlsningar/Best Regards