[geeks] Stupid people rant

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Feb 13 00:24:40 CST 2002

[ On Tuesday, February 12, 2002 at 16:35:02 (-0500), Mike Nicewonger wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Stupid people rant
>
> Well that is all fine if the person on the recieving end is clueful and has an
> account set up with a large carrier. I have been fist fsck'ed by FedEx when
> they billed ME for the bloody taxes on several shipments to Canada since the
> recipient did not have a FedEx account.

I've never actually set up an account with FedEx (or UPS for that
matter) -- they just auto-broker stuff and phone/mail an invoice.
Perhaps if the receiver's card were to bounce or something then they'd
try to go after the shipper for the fees/taxes.

However unless "It Really Has To Be There Yesterday" then you should
always, always, always, just use the good old USPS.  Only when shipping
stuff to weird far-away lands would you need a special courier, and in
those cases DHL is probably a far far better choice than FedEx.

> the other thing is customs. they hold things up and I get yelled at.
> <crybaby>Where's my widget! Waaaaa!!</crybaby>

Yeah, and to think we have NAFTA now.  I remember getting electronics
parts shipped from the States long before NAFTA and having a lot less
trouble than afterwards (less trouble even than getting similar stuff
shipped half-way across this fine land at the time!).

--
								Greg A. Woods