[geeks] Circuit Simulation Software

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Feb 11 19:34:28 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 08:04:36PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On February 11, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> >      Back in college, I used a program called "PowerView" to design and
> > test circuits using 74-series logic chips and PALs (among other things).
> > Are there any free (or cheap) Unix or Java programs around that do
> > pretty-much the same thing?  I don't need anything as big and powerful as
> > PowerView, but something that knows ABEL and the 74-series chips (or would
> > at least let me define them in a library) would be really cool, as I don't
> > want to lose the meager skills that I have.
>
>   I don't know of any logic simulation packages offhand.  Please let
> me know if you find any that look good.

Scheme seems to be used extensively.  In particular, check out symsync
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SIMSYNCH.html

It doesn't require real scheme programming to use, and it is based on scm
which is supposed to be one of those schemes that just work on real platforms.
So far I've only used SCM on linux (I use it at school since I was able
to fit it into my measely account) though.

BTW, the symsynch manual doesn't appear properly in xpdf, but it does appear
fine in gv (some ghostscript front end).

I haven't used this program much.  It is aimed higher than anything I've tried
to design (which I usually just code up myself when I want to simulate it).
It is used to do real work though, so it might work for you.

--
Joshua D. Boyd