[geeks] Urk! Win 2K question...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Feb 11 12:35:19 CST 2002

> An executive in my chain has a win2K laptop that is behaving oddly (and
> we've seen this on other win2k boxes) - it cannot get a DHCP address
> correctly after time has passed.  The NT server says "yes, it has this
> address", but the laptop (and other desktops from time to time) comes up
> with 0.0.0.0.  Weincreased the number of addresses available, so there is
> not a pool problem (Besides, the server thinks everything is *fine*).
>
> If we *manually* assign an address, reboot, then select DHCP and reboot
> again, everything works like a charm.

Have you searched support.microsoft.com?

I know this doesn't help, but the MS DHCP server is known to be
buggy/unreliable/non-standard.  I've never trusted it, mostly because it
doesn't properly assign info to non-Windows clients.  Even with Windows
clients it can prove unreliable - I can't tell you how many times I had
to have users start winipcfg.exe and renew their leases manually.

Just a guess, but have you installed the latest SP for Win2k?  Honestly,
this sounds like a *client* issue - so I would look at 2k first.  Apply
necessary SPs and hotfixes (which are rarely "hot" fixes) and see what
happens...

My gut tells me that MS knows this is an issue, but whether there's a
fix or not, I don't know.

Kurt