[geeks] Has Sun Learned from SGI's Mistakes?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Feb 7 21:44:52 CST 2002

On February 7, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > Since when are Cobalts Intel machines?  I thought that they ran MIPS.
>
> >   The first Cobalts...the Qube and the RaQ...were MIPS-based.  I
> > beta-tested those; they were great machines.  Then Cobalt got
> > suits...and they started making (rather boring) little PeeCees.
>
> That really sucks. I wonder what the effect on the original MIPS machine
> used prices was...

  They started around $1700 if memory serves, now they can be had for
a couple hundred at most.  They're really nice machines, and
reasonably zippy too.  I ported the SkyCache service adapter code to
one of those during the beta test.

  Another nice machine in the same vein is the Netwinder.  Lots of
fun.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire