[geeks] Re: SunPCi Drivers

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Feb 7 12:23:08 CST 2002

> There is - but insofar as FAT16 is limited.  I have installed fairly
> huge volumes on NT by formating the drive with NTFS instead of FAT16.

Yes, but only after SP3.  The NT Setup program that shipped with NT4 gold
and all previous versions of NT relies on a FAT16 partition initially.
Then, it converts the partition to NTFS in a subsequent reboot (how lame
is that!).  The limit is 4GB, not 2GB, due to NT "cheating" and using
larger clusters than the FAT16 spec allows.

Now, once you've got NT installed (regardless of version), you can create
partitions up to the NTFS maximum, which is quite large[1].

Back to the original debate... I'd be willing to bet that the 2GB upper
limit is coded into the flash firmware on the SunPCi card, and is totally
unrelated to which OS is run on it.

--Jonathan
[1] For PC values of "large".