[geeks] there is nothing worse

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Feb 7 00:48:02 CST 2002

> > Than having to drive 70 miles each direction at 11:30 at night, to push
the
> > reset button on a server, because you forgot into which outlet on the
> > Baytech power controller you plugged THE FUCKING THING....
> >

> C'mon...bounce every outlet on the switch.  Be a rebel...

I was going to - but the NetApp and the Oracle server are on one of the
power strips.  The NetApp might have survived a pimp-slap, but the Oracle
server would have puked it's guts out all over the raised floor.  Then, not
only would I have had to drive up there anyway, but I would have had to
attempt to recover the Oracle server, and my only DBA is currently on a
plane to London...

All the other servers (about 20) don't concern me too much - they're all
booting to a journaled filesystem, so a forceful shutdown wouldn't have
killed any of them.

Kurt