[geeks] MIPSPro C and C++

Mike Meredith hmv at meredithm.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Feb 4 12:19:24 CST 2002

On Monday 04 February 2002 15:59, you wrote:
> > Ok, now, apparently I haven't completely installed the compiler
> > subsystem, for trying to compile hello.c yields:
> >
> > cc ERROR:  cannot exec /usr/lib32/cmplrs/fec
> >
> > Which CD and package contains this?  (Irix 6.5)
>
> That's the disc you actually have to pay for.  fec is in the "C
> Compiler Front-End" package, which is "c_fe".  c_fe and related
> packages are on the MIPSpro compiler CD.

I could have sworn you could download the MIPSpro compilers "for
evaluation" ... that option seems to have disappeared :(

> If you don't have, and ever decide to purchase (or otherwise get
> ahold of) that CD, you'll be able to truly admire SGI's evil
> nature--they give you absolutely everything you need to compile C

That's a lot more useful than it used to be ... you can at least get
gcc working without the MIPSpro compilers these days.

> At roughly $800 for 50MB (at least, the last time I called),

Last time I heard, the Sun C compiler was similarly priced.