[geeks] PowerBook Wallstreet

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Sun Feb 3 15:37:51 CST 2002

'K, so I'm in a quandry.

I need a laptop. Well, don't *need* so much as desire and have valid
justification.

Got a line on a Wallstreet from a fellow listoid:

CPU is 233MHz
256 MB (2 SODIMMs)
6 GB HD (5.59 GB formatted)
12.1" Screen

I understand that the 233 doesn't do OS X well because it has no cache.
The machine is upgradeable, either to a 266 or 300 original equipment
cpu, or a 500 from Sonnet. The 500 costs $400, the others can be had for
half that. Which one would you suggest?

Then, I understand that with the faster cpu with cache I can upgrade the
screen to a 14.1" for ~$300.

Here's where we hit the confusing part. By the time I do all these
upgrades, the local CompUSA has a 633(?) with 128 RAM, and a DVD for
$1300. Is it worth it? Which way do I go?

It's easier to spend what he's asking for the 233 right now. Hard to
part with $1300, but possible in a few weeks. Upgrades can be done
grdually, as the spendable becomes.

Comments?

Thanks,

---sambo