[geeks] Cross-Platform GUI Lanuages?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Feb 3 11:05:33 CST 2002

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 11:15:06PM -0500, Michael Dombrowski wrote:
> A while ago I helped a friend out with a project he was working on -
> in less than an hour we learned and put into place a graphical, data-
> base driven app using Visual Basic. Using it really showed me why C++
> does not make sense for every app I do and a RAD tool can be really
> nice for quick apps. From the little I played with Visual Basic it
> seemed pretty nice and I'd like something like it but for Unix +
> Windows and maybe Mac.  So, can anybody suggest a language that is
> cross-platform, quick to design, can access databases, has gui and
> network support? I'd like to be able to compile it into an app also
> but that is not a requirement. I do not want to and can not use java.
> Something like Kylix Pro edition looks great, a little pricy but not
> too bad. Another language I looked at is Python + wxWindows but I've
> not yet played around with it.

Python + wxWindows probably is the way you want to go, though in some ways
it isn't as nice as VB (the language is superior, the calling of native
.dlls isn't as nice, and you have to build your GUI with code as opposed
to dragging a button out and attaching event code).

Anyway, let us know what you find.  There isn't really anything like VB,
except maybe the Object Pascal thing.

--
Joshua D. Boyd