[geeks] D'OH!

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Feb 3 02:20:56 CST 2002

On February 2, Jim Carver wrote:
> Most modern electronics as well as most small appliances can tolerate a
> deviation "+" or "-" 10%. The most critical value is frequency. It's
> been a while since I worked in a system control center, but if memory
> serves me, a deviation of 2 cycles was a major event, requiring a ton
> of paper work to the North American Electric Reliability Council known
> as NERC, www.nerc.com, if you didn't get frequency back to normal within
> 10 minutes.

  Yeah, a lot of clocks use the power line as a frequency reference,
usually via a synchronous motor for an analog clock.  I've built a
couple of digital clocks that use the power line as well, mostly in
embedded stuff.  Most PDP11 systems use an LTC (line time clock).
It's generally considered to be very stable.

  I am now 100% drunk.  Just thought I'd share.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire