[geeks] D'OH!

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sun Feb 3 00:38:03 CST 2002

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> The only time it ever matters is when you have poorly designed and
> poorly isolated equipment that in some way uses the AC signal for
> timing, and then you try to integrate two such pieces of equipment that
> are on separate circuits on separate sides of mains winding.  I've seen
> this happen in larger television mobile units which require multiple 15A
> power circuits, for example.

The group I was associated with at RIT had a light setup for parties...
it was "poorly designed" apparently... and you had to be careful about
plugging the different parts into the same phase in the dorm, or else
some of the lights didn't work.

I seem to recall it was mainly because of the dimming features and
differing phases.  If the control box that toggled the triacs(?) was
on a different phase it could end up enabling the lights at the wrong
part of the phase and the lights didn't....

--Kurt