[geeks] Re: Gigabit Ethernet

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 31 05:39:28 CST 2002

> From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] PCMCIA Gigabit NIC
>
> On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 02:31 AM, Kevin wrote:
> > Does anyone know of any manufacturers for PCMCIA gigabit
> > cards?  Preferably 1000baseSX but since i am having difficulty
> > finding ANY gigabit PCMCIA cards i am assuming that fiber is a
> > pipe dream.
> >
> > Is the bottleneck in laptops (CardBus or 2.5" hd speeds) too
> > slow to keep up with gigabit traffic?
>
>    Wow, you must have a much, much faster laptop than I do.

As was previously noted, the last few Rev's of the PowerBook have
Gigabit Ethernet ports, but not sure if they are "practical" at that
speed... (Practical in this sense means make full use of available
bandwidth, not usable)

My thought is that they can peer on a Gigabit Ethernet network, but
just have longer "gaps" between packets, thus reducing utilization of
the network...

As for faster file transfers between laptop and desktop, I think a
variant of "SneakerNet" will be appropriate (removeable HD with
firewire interface)... "Never underestimate the bandwidth..." and
all...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com