[geeks] openbsd compatibility

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Mon Dec 30 10:06:44 CST 2002

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 03:31:18AM -0500, Kevin wrote:
> I've installed openbsd 2.9 once or twice in the past
> but i actually have very little experience with it.

I think it's great as a firewall, bridge, router, mail-server or
webserver. Anything that where the big bad internet outside is
involved.

>  I am considering putting it on my laptop and wanted to
> know what others experience has been with openbsd in
> regards to hardware compatibility, finding drivers and

Used it on a number of laptops and it depends on the model and the
release of OBSD. On a Thinkpad 560x and Portege 7020CT, 3.2 worked
well, audio and apm worked without a hitch. I know of people running
it successfully on Lifebooks and Photobooks, too.

Check:
 http://www.openbsd.org/i386-laptop.html
 http://monkey.org/openbsd-mobile/

> apps (can most linux apps be compiled to run on *bsd?),
> and such.

The Linux support is good but not everything runs and some things that
do run crash or core unexpectedly (and how often do you expect it?).

FWIW, when I recently found myself needing OpenOffice and a better
browser (Opera crashed too often under it, Mozilla won't compile), I
went back to Linux (Debian). Prior to that I ran incarnations of OBSD
on my Portege for nearly two years.

- Ross