[geeks] Quick question before I purchase this flatpanel...

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Dec 23 22:19:31 CST 2002

At 07:05 23/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>I am thinking of getting the Samsung 17.1 inch black flat panel for
>$399.99 (after $150 rebate) at www.bestbuy.com, since a scan of the
>Mfg. website shows me that they are sun compatible:
>
>http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser
=&prod_id=171V-Black

>I am curious if anyone has any exp. with these panels before I drop my
>money... I think the price is great, though I am tempted by the SGI
>1600SW panels - but I am reluctant to buy something like this w/o a
>warranty...
>
>Thoughts on this model, or another to consider? The Dell 1800FP (or is
>it FP1800?) looks good, but @ $600, a bit pricey for an extra inch...
>Besides, it's not how big it is, it's how you use it ;^)
>
>1280 x 1024 @ 85 Hz seems nice...

Heh - I know I'm not answering your question, but have you considered
multiple 15" screens? I'm just about to order five cheap Philips 150B3Y
screens for my office. I'll make a desk-side stand as a summer project
(kind of like the following
http://www.9xmedia.com/pages-Build_a_system/X-Top_Expert---4_across.html )

Of course what I _really_ want is a mind-blowing Panoram unit like the
http://www.panoramtech.com/products/pv230.html. Of course there is no way
for me to justify the 4500USD cost :-o

Now I know the 150B3Y isn't DVI capable, but they do support SOG, are
multi-scan, and do work ok on Sun/SGI/HP. Plus the only DVI capable
machines I have are running as headless servers (HP C3000/3600). I plan to
use a single keyboard and mouse on my primary console with an Apex KVM
switch to switch input between systems (the video signals will bypass the
KVM). This will allow me to key-switch between the five screens (four will
run GUI interfaces and the fifth will run a dedicated terminal emulator)

Oh yeah - don't forget to ask your supplier about their 'pixel defect'
policy. It might be worth paying a little more is they are willing to
replace defective screens.

Regards,

Gavin