[geeks] Laptop LCD defect *rant*

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Fri Dec 20 02:18:24 CST 2002

Hi Lads

I just bought a new IBM X-series (s)thinkpad for use in my small business
and it got delivered this afternoon. It really is a nice machine (I've
recommended them to other people with good results in the past) but *GOD
DAMN IT* there is a bright red stuck pixel in the middle of the screen that
is *REALLY RUINING MY DAY*. The distributor won't replace it (they don't do
tech-support) and IBM won't replace it (see
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1MIGR-4U9P53)

I really like thinkpads and I've never had this problem before. So before I
put on my *arsehole customer* hat and start agitating for a replacement
machine, is this a common problem? Presumably these panels don't fail
during installation, so is it really industry standard practice to ship
laptops with stuck pixels in the centre of the screen?

Regards,

Gavin