[geeks] Argh.

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Thu Dec 19 18:42:44 CST 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 05:10:37PM -0600, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
>

>>Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>

>>>People sure make some things excessively linux dependent.  Like Povray
>>>for instance.  I tried to compile it on irix, and found that the make
>>>file is trying use an option "arch=i586".  WTF?
>>>
>>>Having trouble finding rendering program for irix.  Aqsis fails in some
>>>lexx stuff after much work.  Povray is intel dependent.  And neither of
>>>my projects are ready for real work (or even not real work.  They just
>>>are too flawed at the moment).
>>>

>>What about BMRT?
>>

>Not installed, and I wasn't going to bug the machines owner about
>tracking down and installing a less than perfectly legal package.
>
>BMRT is in fact what I use at home.

I think installing BMRT is perfectly legal. I don't think they had
anything in the license saying you couldn't redistribute it when you
downloaded it. And their was nothing in the Pixar deal about existing
users of BMRT, it only stated that Exluna/nVidia couldn't continue
distributing either.

Some places still use it for rendering (including Pixar).

shawn

(PS, did you hear about Centropolis?)