[geeks] Argh.

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Dec 19 17:01:44 CST 2002

On Thursday, December 19, 2002, at 05:21 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> People sure make some things excessively linux dependent.  Like Povray
> for instance.  I tried to compile it on irix, and found that the make
> file is trying use an option "arch=i586".  WTF?
>
> Having trouble finding rendering program for irix.  Aqsis fails in some
> lexx stuff after much work.  Povray is intel dependent.  And neither of
> my projects are ready for real work (or even not real work.  They just
> are too flawed at the moment).

   Povray is Intel-dependent?  Since when?  I ran it on 68K Suns and
VAXen something like twelve years ago, and SPARCs just a few years ago.
  As far as I recall, it's about as portable as a piece of software can
be.

   It's possible that it can't identify an IRIX system, and is using
Intel-specific options by default.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols