[geeks] Linux disparity

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Dec 18 10:15:36 CST 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 04:04:36PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:

> > Well, first, it is all 10mbit.  I thought autonegotiation was only
> > for 100mbit.  Am I wrong on this?  How do I check autonegotiation?
>
> Your 3com cards will probably try autonegotiation, and should fall back
> to 10mps half-duplex. I have seen a 10mps autonegotiation failure, but
> that was with a Sis900-based card (and the performance was infinitely
> worse than yours). If it isn't autonegotation, it's worth trying
> swapping out the cables and then the network card ... especially if you
> have an indication that one of the machines is getting excessive
> collisions.

Well, I have swapped cables, so it's not that.  I only have one spare
PCI ethernet card, but I can try swapping those around sometime this
weekend.  However, if it was a bad ethernet card, shouldn't the machines
be slow talking to others?  Even between just these two machines I get
good http performance.  And both machines can talk to the outside world
faster than they talk to each other.

I'm wondering if there is something configured wrong in the NFS and FTP
or file system settings in the file server.  Someone was recently
telling me that I needed to make sure to use a kernel NFS server instead
of a userspace one?  Would that be anything?  Or, what might cause the
filesystem to be fast for local use, but conflict with both FTP and NFS
for remote users.

I'm hoping that moving to a Solaris file server will just fix this, but
I'm just having trouble getting the remaining parts together to build
and configure the solaris file server.