[geeks] Linux disparity

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed Dec 18 09:15:22 CST 2002

> > I don't remember it coming up here, but nobody I work with would stick a
> > 3com network card into a server because of the load they are rumoured
> > to put onto the CPU.
>
> But on the other hand, they do Just Work, and so if you must use PeeCees,
> you might as well use 3com.

We had a load of systems with different 3Com cards over the
years.  We had a lot of problems during the ISA-only period,
but that was typical of all the vendors.

When we switched to PCI we didn't have as many problems, but
we'd sometimes have problems with the cards blowing their
internal transcievers or not being properly detected by
Windows 9x.

I personally prefer the 21x41 cards.  I've never had a problem
with them, and they are fast.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net