[geeks] Linux disparity

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Dec 18 02:01:49 CST 2002

Hey, on my linux machine, CPU meters register barely anything, yet I
have a very high system load (over 2).  Anyone know why this might be?
I'm doing a fair amount of network copying in the background, but
nothing heavy over an SSH link.  Is it perhaps being caused by a 3COM
PCI ethernet card?  I seem to remeber people dissing them here.

Top shows mozilla as being the highest program by CPU time used, but it
isn't using more than 0.3% at peaks.  Very confusing and frustating.

--
Joshua D. Boyd