[geeks] You Are in a Maze of Twisty Tunnels...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Dec 15 18:52:02 CST 2002

On Sunday, December 15, 2002, at 05:03 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> But the alphabet soup of J2EE is making my head hurt.  Do I want
> servlets or Java Server Pages?  Session beans or Enterprise Java Beans?
> And there are so many more.  Sun's J2EE tutorial promises the world,
> but
> assumes that I -want- to control the world, when my problem is such a
> simple one.
> At first, I thought I just needed servlets and something in which to
> run
> them, but the documentation points at EJB (which supposedly needs
> another piece of software) and all sorts of other stuff.  Does there
> exist a newbie-friendly[0] introduction to how all this fits together
> so
> that I can figure out what I need to learn first?

   I can't answer your specific question, as I've only started playing
with J2EE stuff recently...but I was faced with a similar job several
months ago, and I decided on servlets.  They're simple, there are good
tutorials out there (I can point you to the one that helped me), and
it's quick and easy to get up to speed.  JSP has really nice
capabilities, but like any scripting-embedded-in-HTML trick, it's ugly
as sin and very difficult to read.  The majority of the J2EE stuff
seems like it's way, way more than you need for a library management
system.

   I wrote a very simple database front-end servlet that I can send you
that'll get you started, if you're like me and learn more quickly from
functional code than from volumes of documentation.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "I'll send you adapters to go both ways."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Bill Bradford