[geeks] Possible problem with W2K's TCP/IP stack?

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Sat Dec 14 00:15:19 CST 2002

Possible problem with W2K's TCP/IP stack?

Assume the following - an application lives on Windows 2K.  Every few
seconds it examines a database on another server for a flag, if it finds the
flag it prints the record after running it through a filter.  Voila, bar
code label.*

Problem:  When the printing demand increases, the number of errors do too -
error messages indicating it can't find the printer's IP address, non
recoverable IP stack errors, other low level layer weirdness.

The network is fine, the printers didn't drop off the net.  I'm stuck with
the feeling that the app is jamming crap into the TCP/IP stack than it can
handle, and it's fubaring things up.  Somehow.

Are there known problems with W2K and TCP/IP?  I'm not asking y'all to solve
my problem really, just general noise and commentary to get me started.

Brian Dunbar
System Administrator - Plexus

*We're committed to the app - the developers like it for the other dozen
things it can do for _them_ (and the end users).  It's going to get busier
as well - more systems coming on line for Manufacturing are going to use it
for label printing.