[geeks] Sound editing software for OSX?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Dec 11 00:09:14 CST 2002

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:43:03PM -0700, Dave Kimmel wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > All I have for input is a Live card, and some miscelaneous turtle beach
> > card.  Nothing very good.  I can't really find any software for the
> > 840av anymore, and it doesn't look like there is any good hardware
> > supported by linux, at least not without using extremely alpha drivers.
>
> I've got a Live card on the Winbox, it's okish.  I thought that Turtle
> Beach was supposed to be pretty good though - is that not the case?

Well, it is based on a so-so off the shelf chip aimed at the consumber
market.  On the upside, it is very well constructed, and sounds nice,
but it also is an ISA card, so performance isn't so great, and frankly I
abhor ISAPNP, so don't really want to use it in a machine I rely on
much, but I don't have any decent spare ISA machines.

A good card would provide a really clean signal path, and would offer
something better than 3.5mm inputs, and would hopefully provide digital
IO.  If it came down to it, I'd be happy to use the Turtle Beach card I
have in a dedicated virtual synth/midi machine, with the digital out
connected to something else.  My original goal had been a P233mmx with
the turtle beach card running demudi and software for it, and opcode
vision dsp on a 7100 with a AudiomediaII card.  But that card got lost
in the mail, and opcode has since raised their minimum machine specs for
vision DSP.  Still, that might be an option if I bought an upgrade card
for the 7100.  However, I have the cash for nothing.  The seller of the
audiomedia card never refunded my money.

--
Joshua D. Boyd