[geeks] Sound editing software for OSX?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Dec 10 19:59:54 CST 2002

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 06:51:40PM -0700, Dave Kimmel wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Does anyone have any sound editing software for OSX that they like?  I'm
> thinking of something that can record sounds and let me slice and dice
> them.
>
> Digidesign has ProTools available for download, but I got rid of Classic
> so I can't run it (unless I'm reading the ProTools web page wrong).

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

What exactly are you trying to do?  It is functional as a multitrack
program, except it makes no attempt to calibrate for latency, so you
have to adjust the start time of a track after you record it (not really
that hard to do).  However, it doesn't have a loop edit mode, loop
sequencing, nor does it seem to have much for sample editing or virtual
synthesis.  Quibbles?  Yes.  I was just hoping to find a good multitrack
program that at least offered good capabilities for using sequenced
loops.  And a nice sample editor would be nice if I had any virtual
synthesis software running.

--
Joshua D. Boyd