[geeks] Carley Fiorina

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Dec 2 08:40:01 CST 2002

Bjorn Ramqvist <brt at g.haggve.se> wrote:

> Yes, but there's EVIL on the horizon for that company.
> Just take a look at this...
>
> http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2002/september/stream.html
> http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2002/july/itanium2.html

I don't really have anything against this strategy, as long as they don't
kill off the existing MIPS-based systems and Irix.  It sounds to me as if
the system they describe is meant to complement their existing product line
- but I could be wrong.

Personally, if SGI can make an x86-based system, do it well, and make it
work without killing the existing product line, I won't have a problem.
Their past systems failed - partly due to using Windows, and partly due to a
lost marketing war.  Unfortunately, they lost a lot of credibility there,
and people have come to question nearly every new move by SGI.

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com