[geeks] (Almost nothing to do with )Carley Fiorina

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 1 21:06:42 CST 2002

--- Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 09:54 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >> That's _ALL_ you expect of your investments!?!?!?
> >
> > Investments are based on business decisions, using money to further
> > a social cause is called charity.
>
>    Advancing the state of the art is a "social cause"?

I was speaking broadly, not specifically about one broad ;^)

Investment <> charity (I took no position on the merits of either, on
purpose)

Advancing the state of the art is an Investment, and if you know what
to do with what you find, it can be a very good investment.

BTW, I just finished a book about eminent computer scientists (Out of
their minds), and saw mention of a firm called MCC, a think tank in
Texas(?) - anyone know anything about it? Learned a few other
interesting things (like Connection Machines used thousands of SPARC
processors!)

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com