[geeks] Carley Fiorina

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sun Dec 1 16:14:53 CST 2002

On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 03:23 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Can anyone make a specific (preferably refering to one or more citable
> sources) arguement for why she sucks, other than because she canceled
> the toy we like?

Well, you need to examine some different sides of the issue.  Look at
Carley from the viewpoint of an employee (or a laid-off employee).  How
has her leadership affected the workforce of HP and Compaq?

It seems to me that her 'leadership' is focused more on making
investors happy, not actually *leading* a company and it's workforce to
stability and profitability.  The leadership, in this case, appears to
be following in the same path as a many others with cooked books and
questionable accounting (I have no proof, but the same pattern is
there).

So, how do layoffs and the striking of significant product lines
reflect on the leadership of a company?  Wether or not thoughtful
people liked those product lines is immaterial, especially when they
are the defining product of a company and have loyal customers that
shell out big money.

I have no idea how profitable Alpha and the others were, this is just
stream-of-consciousness thinking...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com