[geeks] Oh my, this is getting serious ;^) (Storage space)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 31 15:32:03 CDT 2002

Well, I broke down today, and rented a storage space to consolodate my
"kit" (rhymes with $*it) and decide what stays and what goes.

I decided to go for the 10' x 20' space, so I could have plenty of room
to spread out my "kit" by architecture (x86, SPARC, PPC, Alpha, MIPS,
PA-RISC, etc...), with each architecure on it's own pallet... Shelves
will come, but not right away... Need to locate some low-cost
metro/wire shelving...

My hope is that by physically removing it from the house, then
selectively re-introducing it into the house, I will determine what I
need/want, and what I don't...

Any de-clutter advice? I plan on just removing car-loads at a time,
sorting it when I get it to the storage space, and then bringing back
the machines when the space is ready for them... (All previous attempts
were like some bizzare form of "Towers of Hanoi" or "fifteen" puzzle
;^)

My goal is a furnished "rec-room" basement, with one-third for the
"data center", the rest for the family. (My wife actually said to me
"You know, the plan is *not* to turn the basement into a computer
center." I just smiled and corrected her - "You mean that is not *your*
plan.")

Thoughts? Advice? (Yes, the list will get first crack at my
"excess"...)

Thanks in advance...

Lionel

=====