[geeks] credit cards

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Aug 26 20:05:16 CDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 12:53, Chad Kellerman wrote:
>    I currently have a MBNA credit card.  ( Which is a bad thing, but
> everone got them right?)

I don't think mine is That bad.

Sure, the interest rate isn't the world's greatest, but 15.99% isn't
horrible.  I like their web stuff to see my balance, pay the bill
online, etc..  Most importantly, i recently had my credit card number
stolen, and they handled it exceptionally well.

<stolen credit card story>
One day a few months ago, i came home from work, and had a message on
the answering machine saying that i needed to call the 800 number for
service on my card, they wanted to verify some recent purchases.  I had
just bought 15 18GB SCA drives, and a bunch more hardware, so i figured
that they were going to ask me about that.  (i just went from school to
working again, little shopping spree :) )  So, they verified the gas i
had bought that morning, the charges for the hard drives, a few other
things... and then 3 charges of $500 each to some online gambling place
based in england.  Since i've never done any online gambling, (and
apparantly, online gambling throws some red flags with them) it was
pretty safe to say that those charges were fraudulent.  So, they
cancelled those charges, cancelled the card, and overnighted me a new
card.  All in all, it was not a bad experience.  There were no fees for
any of it.
</stolen credit card story>

So, i've been pretty happy with MBNA.  That and they keep upping my
credit limit for no apparant reason.  I pay the card off just about
every month, the most i've ever had on it was about $2000 (ran out of
money at the tail end of the school year a few years ago).  I've even
missed a payment or two, and i still have what i consider a decent
interest rate (not that it matters a whole lot, as i said, i pay it off
every month).

	-Dan Sikorski