[geeks] Mail Call

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Aug 20 12:53:16 CDT 2002

Brian Dunbar wrote:
> For those of us who don't have cable . . .
>
> http://www.historychannel.com/mailcall/

Well, I have cable, but I thought I'd look, anyway, to see what the
schedule is like.  I think you've stumbled across one of the most
inaccessible pages on the Internet.  Not only does it use a frameset
without any auxilliary navigation, but the "index" frame contains nothing
resembling HTML--just VBScript and Flash.

Now, my opinion on government is pretty "hands off" (ie: let the market do
largely what it will), but this is one area where I would -love- to see
the ADA smackdown.  I'm using Lynx because I happen to be on a VT420 right
now, but what if I were using Lynx to interface with a screen-reader?  You
can't screen-read Flash.

> Now I wish I did - this looks pretty cool.  How often do you get to see an
> anyone on TV wear a cover (hat) properly?

The show was bad-ass, and I'm definitely going to be tuning in next time.
I really liked the segment about clearing a minefield, especially sweeping
the field manually.  Now -that- is a job that requires nerves of steel.

--
Jonathan Patschke
   > Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
   Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
                                 --Saul Tannenbaum (in the Monastery)