[geeks] CATIA: anyone know about it?

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Sun Aug 18 09:11:56 CDT 2002

William S. wrote:
 > A friend who is in engineering told me
 > a little about a program he uses: CATIA.
 >
 > There does not seem to be many references
 > on the internet about it. Perhaps because
 > it is relatively new? What he mentions about
 > it seems pretty cool and perhaps if there
 > is a way to get it I might have some use for
 > it.
 >
 > Anyone know about it and where to get it?

IIRC it was originally made by the same people who make ExpertCAD and
was/is industrially expensive.  (IBM seems to have bought it now.)

It runs on a lot of things besides the Wintel platform:
http://www.catia.com/your_catia/html/hwunix2.htm

I think it uses a FlexLM license or a dongle IIRC but don't quote me on
that.  It may even be like PTC's ProEngineer and validate on the MAC
address of the machine.  (What a pain!)

http://www.catia.com

Personally Solidworks seems to be much less complicated and less
expensive but then I'm not an engineer.

http://www.solidworks.com

Hope that halps!

Mike Hebel