[geeks] Serial ATA

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Aug 16 11:59:51 CDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 11:58:32AM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> As for OS support, it's pretty good. While they only support Linux and
> Windows, their drivers are completely open, so any OS could be supported
> given the interest (and willing and competent programmers). The
> management interface is a Linux binary, but almost everyone has Linux
> binary emulation (ok, well maybe not, but it seems like it). I know the
> cards work in OpenBSD, so I can't see the rest of the BSD's not
> supporting it (or at least for long).

So, who wants to picture this.

A Sun AXi board in a monstrous ATX Chassis.  2 mirrored 18 gig drives
for OS and applications, 2 striped 4 gig solid state drives for /tmp,
and a 3ware card with a terabyte of disk space, the Sun card that is a
wildcat, and a SDI card.  That would make one killer video station.
Unfortunately, two of the 3 pictured cards require Solaris drivers
still.  Although, there were SDI cards for sbus (very rare, but they
existed), so I'd imagine that some unheard of, exorbitantly expensive
company has an SDI card for Solaris.

Argh, argh, argh.  Of course, the 3ware card in an octane with personal
video option would probably be faster for video...

--
Joshua D. Boyd