[geeks] Miss Manners

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Aug 14 10:54:40 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 11:24:03AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >I really like reading Miss Manners' column.  Very interesting, often
> >funny, and potentially usefull.
> >
> >Any other fans here?
> >

> Haven't read it in years.  I find that columnists of her ilk are very
> self rightous, pretentious, and generally annoying...

What is self rightous and pretentious about saying in reply to someone
who thinks that fans of the away team should sit quitely,
    They are not supposed to sit there frozen, withholding their
    critical judgment and then issue polite applause in order to thank
    the professionals for allowing them to observe them doing their
    job. Everyone should be allowed to express the acceptable level of
    approval or disapproval, regardless of whether other members of the
    audience concur in that judgment.

Or saying that plastic straws and paper napkins are, under most
circumstances, a slap in the collective face of resturant patrons
everywhere?

--
Joshua D. Boyd