[geeks] New Macs

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Aug 13 12:06:24 CDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 12:06:54PM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> Still PC's. Dual Athlon 1.6GHz, 2GB Ram, GeForce 4's or ATI Radeon 8500's.
>
> Someone from Discreet is here and he brought his Dual Xeon 2.4 and it
> was 80% of the speed of the Athlons.

Yes, but he probably wasn't taking advantage of hyperthreading on that
machine.  That would be good for anywhere from a 40% boost to an 80%
boost, for properly threaded software, which most people seem to
consider Max to be.

> With the rumour about Apple buying Alias|Wavefront, OSX may be the only
> option for Maya in the future.

Yikes!  Generally I'm supportive of the buying the Apple has done, but
I'd really rather they went after someone else instead of that company.
I'd like to see them remain as they are.  How about going after...
Well, the only realistic choices would be discreet (like they would
sell), or Softimage...

My understanding was that Apple wasn't promising to keep every version
forever, but the only platform they were dropping with the different
products they bought was windows.

--
Joshua D. Boyd