[geeks] No Flame Bait..

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Aug 12 16:55:09 CDT 2002

On Monday, August 12, 2002, at 05:35 PM, Kevin Lee wrote:

> you want end user feedback ok...
>
> I just spent 1300 dollars on a new mac and it blew up after a week.
> In addition I have spoke to 8 other emac owners that have had
> similar problems.  Apple is creating a scandal by not replacing,
> but just offering to repair them.  One poor soul has had 3
> new Emacs in the last 1 month and all have gone bad.....

This is not a new practice.  They've done it as far as I know since the
first rev B iMac.  It's very hard to get Apple to take something back
and replace it.  They want you to take it to an Apple Authorized Service
Provider so it doesn't cost them money.  They're not set up yet to deal
with service en masse.  The problem is that they screwed over so many
Apple Service Providers that they now have too few (and those that are
left are underqualified) to actually keep up.  They are also fickle with
their production centers... if they'd just stay in one place maybe...
but then again who knows if that would actually cause them to lose
money.  Maybe they're doing everything they can to continue to turn
profit in these trying times.  This is why they now offer a service
certification course to John Q. Public.... truth be told I'd do it if it
was free.  They really need to offer the course materials for merely the
cost of printed/CD media, then charge only for tests.  Most people who
are in service are poor anyhow.

-Andrew