[geeks] Alternative Employment

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Aug 12 13:56:36 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 07:17:18PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:

> I recently bought some books from a self-publishing author.  By email.
> Email works nicely and requires sod-all extra infrastructure.  Assuming
> that you're taking credit card payments in the shop and over the phone
> anyway, then you're all set for doing mail-order by email.

I must say, I really like a good automated web form.  Something that
lets you pick the item, and properly sub totals and totals everything.
Even if the data is just being stored to be processed via the analog
method.

> The most important thing is to be honest with the customers.  If there's
> going to be a delay in processing their order, tell them.  They won't
> mind.  What they will mind is if the order is delayed and you *don't* tell
> them.

Agreed

> Yes, I hate most tourists too.  The bastards have gone and booked all the
> tickets for Twelfth Night at the Globe* this weekend.  They get in my way
> when I'm using the public transport that my taxes subsidise.  There are
> the odd exceptions, who seem to have a clue about where they are and what
> they want, but most deserve to die slowly and painfully.

I have lots of trouble with tourists going 25mph in 55mph zones so that
they can observe the amish working in the field, or the train going by,
or whatever it is these people observe.  And we aren't talking about
slowing down that much for a few seconds, we are talking about actual
maintained speed for many miles.

I'm also somewhat irritate about the Amish lack of taxes.  Their horses
do a lot of damage to roads, and they should have to help pay for it, or
find new paths to follow.

> * - at least, they've booked all the seats.  I don't fancy standing in the
> pit for three hours.  I guess us 21st century folks are just too weak and
> feeble for the authentic Shakespeare experience :-)

Now there would be an experience.

--
Joshua D. Boyd