[geeks] Alternative Employment

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Aug 12 12:51:03 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 11:54:20AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Anyway, the NYTimes has an interesting article, except despite all the
> references to high tech, most of the people seem to be suits rather than
> techies.  Nice seems suiots doing something usefull.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/11/fashion/11UNEM.html
>
> Anyway, what are other jobs that people would be interested in taking,
> or starting businesses to do?

I have no interest in starting my own business.  I just don't have the
mindset for it.  But on my really down days, I want to be a long-distance
trucker.  Or I'd like to take tourists around engineering marvels like
dams and power stations.  Long-term, when I retire, I want to buy a hill
farm with lots of sheep and a great view down onto a sleepy little village
with a lake dotted with dinghies.  Of course, I wouldn't actually run the
farm - I'd be crap at that - I'd rent out the rights to it to someone who
knew what they were doing.  Being a part-time warden in a national park
would be nice too.

Maybe I'd give lessons in musical theory in my Copious Free Time (ha!).

--
Lord Protector David Cantrell     |     http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

     Soylent green is purple!  Soylent green is purple!