[geeks] bitchin' and moaning [wasRe: [rescue] U30--thanks]

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Fri Aug 9 17:49:40 CDT 2002

> When i'm looking for my next job, i'll certainly mention my personal
> machines.  When they want to know about being responsible for equiptment
> that keeps a buisness running, i can point to my work experience (which
> is unfortunately largely windows experience).  When they want to know
> about my experience with real computers, i can talk about what i have at
> home.
> 	-Dan Sikorski

My home machines DEFINITLY helped me getting my current job. At my
previous job I was a network engineer / NT admin... I wanted to move into
Unix... and of course at home I had Suns and SGIs and OpenBSD/FreeBSD.

Since my workplace is SGI/IRIX heavy that brightened their day. The
majority of people have misconceptions about SGIs, IRIX, or have never
heard of them.

The other thing I hate is how FreeBSD (and the other BSDs) don't seem to
get respect. People LOOOOVEEE Linux, but BSD is ignored.

Oh well. My home lab and home network has grown into a business. So I
guess it can't be called a home lab anymore. :-)

				-- Ethan