[geeks] bitchin' and moaning [wasRe: [rescue] U30--thanks]

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Aug 9 17:15:25 CDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 11:58:15AM +0000, Ethan wrote:

> Unfortunately most employers I've interviewed with didn't seem to look at
> home machines as "experience."

Quite right too.  I like to see that people do funky stuff because it shows
they have a genuine interest, but I don't want just another Linux kiddy.
And tbh, the same applies to Suns.  Running your own little Sun boxes at
home on your own little network is poor preparation for looking after the
zillion Big Suns that are critical to a business.

>                                 But then again, I think I've learned
> interviewing at random is often useless.... knowing someone on the inside
> is how all the jobs are gotten

Yeah.  I still interview at random though, just on the off chance.

<plug>
  I'm looking for work in London right now, and I'm bloody brilliant
</plug>

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson