[geeks] Prolog for network configuration

Tom Borton tborton at usa.net
Thu Aug 8 14:58:49 CDT 2002

> Oh, and BTW, it seems that despite working at a hyperthreading enabled
> dual xeon machine, Windows 2k Pro only lets me use the first logical
> processor from each chip.  From the sounds of it, only .NET server (and
I haven't looked into hyperthreading yet, but my guess is that one of your
problems is the Win2K Pro is limited by implementation to seeing only two
CPUs.  So I would imagine that the HAL sees two real CPUs and doesn't
recognize hyperthreading.  Have you tried pulling one of the CPUs out?  The
MPC HALs will run with only one CPU as long as they can see the MPC chipset
(APIC?), and it might tell you something interesting.

> linux) properly support hyperthreading (which basically means this
> machines potential is more or less cut in half).

You DID say you were running Windows, correct?  That is the basic axiom for
Windows.

Tom