[geeks] Paperless office...

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Thu Aug 8 09:03:37 CDT 2002

I noticed the subject of paperless office came up. While not 100%
paperless, I've been looking for a solution to help organize my generally
unorganized self. Document mangement! The ability to PDF stuff on a
scanner and save away all the downloaded PDFs. The ability to allow my
business partner to read the important stuff, but if we ever get another
employee they don't need to see everything.

And I found it... the solution. I think.

It runs on Apache + PHP with a MySQL backend (quit groaning). It is free.
And evidentially version 2.0 doesn't store shit as blobs in the database
but stores the data externally with a pointer in the database.

http://sdms.cafuego.net

I've been working on setting it up for testing. But I haven't totally
gotten apache + php + mysql setup yet on the test box so I can't report
anything.

I figure in order to PDF I will have to use a Windows box with an old
version of Adobe capture and a flatbed scanner. I wish there was a unix
solution (Impresario and an Indigo?). A local friend has a normal HP
flatbad and the ADF. Adobe capture is what he uses. It OCRs also, which is
nice -- it isn't a huge TIF. He also has a scanner that does 200 - 400
pages per minute front and back. I wish he would set that one up, I just
want to see it run :-)

Then to set things up so Hylafax data is forwarded into it. Schwing.

					-- Ethan