[geeks] How can people put up with this....

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Thu Aug 8 12:15:23 CDT 2002

jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:

>Also, on a side note, it would be a much better idea to take a PDF
>file.  My understanding is that even printers who except PS files are
>recommending PDFs be used instead, and there is a lot of RIP software
>out there for RIPing PDFs now.

Well, the original problem is that Distiller doesn't understand
my postscript file. I've gotten around the problem by using ghostscript's
ps2pdf utility, which is *generally* far inferior to Distiller, but
did well in this case. (I had to rewrite a small section of the file
for ps2pdf to get it right, but that was a matter of five minutes.)

Now, instead of a 4K postscript file, I have a 600K PDF file that
I can't edit.

Great.

It will work, but I still don't see this as "progress".

>And let us not forget, there is still the time honored tradition of
>layout by hand, and just photocopying.  I've done that myself more than
>once in the past 3 years.

I'm experimenting with randomizing the edges of the type after it's
all laid out, to get a "hand printed" look to it. Tricky, but should
be worth the effort.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org -------
---------- "Anything Jesus can do, I can do better." - The Locust ----------