[geeks] How can people put up with this....

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Aug 8 11:32:57 CDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 11:24:09AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 12:22:24PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > We did these the old-fashioned engraved-plate way.
> > You mean you have the custom engrave a printing plate?
>
> Yes.  We still have the plate, too.  This is how things were done
> before computers, Josh. 8-)

Yes, I am aware of the technique.  It's just expensive I thought, at
least compared to other methods.  Were the announcements embossed?

> > My fiance had actually been thinking I might want to do the
> > announcements/invitations myself.  She was surprised when I said nah,
> > and that I didn't have the right equipment, and probably not the right
> > skills for doing the job right.
>
> Yeah, Print Shop Pro just don't cut it. 8-)

That was pretty much my though.  Now, if I had a lot more time on my
hands, I might have considered doing it.  Get a press where it actually
presses, and get a pair lead plates laser cut from a PS file (one for
printing, one for embossing).  Use heavy hand torn paper.  Actually seal
the invitations with wax.  Sign each one by hand using a fountain pen,
and maybe include a personal note written in the margin of some of
them.

Someday I want to run, several small shops.  The relevant one at the
moment would be that I want to run a small print shop.  I also would
like a small machine shop.

--
Joshua D. Boyd