[geeks] How can people put up with this....

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Aug 7 21:52:19 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 10:43:12PM -0400, Rob wrote:
> Why don't you just:
>
> copy postscript_file.ps > LPT1

I don't think that works.  I think you wanted either:
type postscript_file.ps > LPT1
or:
copy postscript_file.ps LPT1:

> from a Windows Machine? If it's a PS printer it should work fine.

OK, there is a proper solution here, and the above ain't it.  The proper
solution is to go to find a print shop that you can develop a real,
respect based relationship with.  A place that will actually work with
you.  A place that has the proper equipment for the job (like for
starters, software that can print postscript files).

Also, on a side note, it would be a much better idea to take a PDF
file.  My understanding is that even printers who except PS files are
recommending PDFs be used instead, and there is a lot of RIP software
out there for RIPing PDFs now.

And let us not forget, there is still the time honored tradition of
layout by hand, and just photocopying.  I've done that myself more than
once in the past 3 years.

--
Joshua D. Boyd