[geeks] How can people put up with this....

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Aug 7 21:11:07 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 08:36:33PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:

> I went to three print shops: A Sir Speedy, and two different Kinkos.
> All three of them could read my file, and had a postscript laser
> printer, but NOT ONE OF THEM was able to send the postscript file
> to the postscript printer.
>
> Nope, windows can't do that.

Actually, if the printer is on a serial or parallel port (and
technically, postscript printers should be on serial ports, not parallel
ports as a general rule) or is mapped to a serial or parallel port (a
trick that windows 9x does so that DOS programs can still print), the
computer would have been able to print your file by doing something
like:
copy myfile.ps com1:
or:
copy myfile.ps prn:
or:
copy myfile.ps lpt1:

The inability of those stores due to stupidity or red tape since if it
is a usb or network printer, it is a simple matter to map it to a DOS
accessible port.

--
Joshua D. Boyd