[geeks] Mercury Capri

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Aug 7 19:06:47 CDT 2002

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:34:40 -0700
"Fogg, James" <JFogg at vicinity.com> wrote:

> I can't say about the non-turbo, though I know a good many Ford/Merc
> 4-bangers with lots of miles. And if its V8 (American versions could
> be, don't know about Aussie), the V8 didn't have a real big reputation
> for longevity. That's not saying they did poorly, but I've never heard
> of them going on forever like the turbo 4's. The longevity of the V8
> might be related to its power and a tendency for people to abuse it.
> As for V6, I've never personally seen a V6 that performed like a
> champion over the long haul.

The Ford 5.0?  I haven't heard of longevity problems with them.  Ford's
biggest problems that I have heard of/experienced are related to
unreliable firmware, the computers seem to readily find sensor failures
etc. that were apparently never anticipated by Ford, and Ford has
trouble diagnosing the problem without the computer, so the dealer
resorts to "replace til it works"

Tim